Happy New Year 2022!
This year we are going to reintroduce forum as a service for not-for-profit organisation. We are currently working on the automation for it. It will be based on the excellent Flarum solution. A dedicated blog entry will be posted once it’s ready.
This new section of the monthly news will be used to mention tips and new features available on FOSS solutions interacting one way or another with Nomagic online services.
- Version 91 of Thunderbird mail client, available on all desktop platforms, now supports CardDAV for address books. You now can decide whether to use the CardBook extension (it has more features, but is harder to manhold) or the baked-in support to keep your address book in sync accross your different devices! Our documentation for address book synchronisation in Thunderbird has been updated accordingly.
The following applications have been upgraded to their latest stable versions:
The 2 Proxmox hypervisors have been upgraded to latest and rebooted.
Reminder: Important maintenance will show in advance on our calendar, which you can follow if you want to by following the ical feed.
Bugs and issues
- The Funkwhale Android app development is going steady, but we are facing an issue with deteriorated sound every now and then. It never occurs from the website, which shows that the files are not damaged, but it annoyingly bumps up every now and then on the app. An issue was raised on the project repository.
- We have finally pinned down the issue with rollover backups .
Our road map now includes:
- Upgrade the last 3 servers to Debian Buster.
- Organise weekly public sessions to ease out first contact with people interested in Nomagic.
- Migrate all our servers to Debian 11 (Bullseye). This will likely be our main task for the first part of next year.
- Implement Single Sign-On (SSO) so that Nomagic users won’t have to authenticate on each and every service in their Web browser.
- Keep on implementing security/privacy policies.