Free Press on trial, additional logo for Nomagic, handful of applications upgraded to latest stable.
We have an additional logo! It took a fair time looking for the best way to represent Nomagic whenever text is not an option. After several tries, we have settled for this great little mascot, which will soon show on all our public-facing accounts’ avatars. It has already been integrated to the footer of the website .
Banner of the month
This month, the second part of the hearing for the extradition of Julian Assange to the US will take place. The trial is a farce. Once again, we want to do our part in raising awareness. Hence the banner of the month is dedicated to Free Press and Julian Assange. The UK judiciary has shown an appauling lack of discernment and proportion so far on Assange, incredibly sympathetic to the US. Even sadder, the conditions of his detention have been described as inhuman, and the UN special rapporteur on torture gave a blunt statement after he met Julian Assange in 2019:
“I condemn, in the strongest terms, the deliberate, concerted and sustained nature of the abuse inflicted on Mr. Assange and seriously deplore the consistent failure of all involved governments to take measures for the protection of his most fundamental human rights and dignity […]. By displaying an attitude of complacency at best, and of complicity at worst, these governments have created an atmosphere of impunity encouraging Mr. Assange’s uninhibited vilification and abuse.”
This is the trial of FreePress, here in our so-called free countries. This is history. Talk about it around you, help raising awareness, reach out to your MP, rally protests, donate to Wikileaks, whatever you can do is good (like Roger Waters!)
We’ve made some slight adjustments to the styling of the website, though nothing major really, mostly ensuring the new logo displays well in the footer. Also, the status website is back, and so is the RAG icon at the footer of the website.
We have set up the wiki page for hosting your static website on Nomagic.
The following applications were upgraded to their latest stable version this month:
- sogo : v5 of SOGo now comes with identities management
- matrix/ element-web
Reminder: Important maintenance will show in advance on our calendar, which you can follow if you want to by following the ical feed.
Bugs and issues
- The navbar and reminders notifications in Sogo issue has been fixed. That said, new issues may be there as we have updated Sogo to v5. Hopefully nothing too bad, but we need to re-work our current workaround for a better integration.
- We are still facing short-time issues almost daily in regards to our load-balancers. No progress so far.
Our road map now includes:
- Follow up Pleroma issue to follow Peertube accounts
- Control display is ok in Sogo with the navbar
- Update all servers to the latest release.
- Keep on implementing security/privacy policies
As we are getting tight on resources, we are no longer thinking of implementing gitlab-runner. Actually we are thinking of moving out of Gitlab, to a much lighter solution like gitea.
- implementing Single Sign-On (SSO) so that Nomagic users won’t have to authenticate on each and every service in their Web browser.